Private Investigation 5: The Road to Freedom

Private Investigation 5:  The Road to Freedom

IT WAS A BAD DAY, AND I was annoyed, I was frustrated and I was confused as I stood begging them for a pill that would subdue my urges. But the supervisor of a detox camp, where I was taking a daily harm-reduction pill from, insisted I should bring along a guardian they could trust to hand over the medicines. I knew I had to get rid of the substances before I start my life afresh.

I was leaving home to pursue a career outside the town and was requesting for a stock, at least, to fight my powerlessness over drugs. Leave alone, giving a thought or planning for the journey I was about to embark! It was no more an issue the skeptical guy trust me or not Đ for, well, a junkie is a junkie. A shot was all I needed; if not, this chemical I desperately wanted to possess.

It was a do-or-die situation, I thought. Those time I wish I could break his shoulder blades, as I was so desperate and the only thing he wanted was someone, accompanying me whom he could trust. Unfortunately, I had no way to convince him a third party was not needed to make me a more sane person. I gave up as the sun lost its sheen at the break of twilight in evening sky. I felt pain and irritated and discouraged and nervous and hysterical, and darkness engulfs my consciousness.

It was four years ago in Imphal. But then the life that I dream of, and the life I was living was like the tale of two different cities Đ without an atom of similarity. The evil experience started with pots, drinks and plenty of painkillers during my high-school days. I graduated, with remorse, to higher forms such as smack and powder before I went to college. During graduation exams, I used to take a break and rush to a haven situated at a walking distance from our college.

I was inspired by Paulo Coehlo. When I look back, I was always in search of adventure and exciting dreams. I have abandoned tradition, do away with giving in to authority. I did drugs. I filled my soul with ego. Finally I ended up discovering quite a different reality.

One day, I waited and did nothing as I was making up a way to get some amount from somewhere. It started in the early morning, with the previous day gone away a lifetime ago. But it doesn't mean I did not regret the life I was living. I waited the whole day, while my nose started running; there was not an ounce of hunger and my soul was longing to get out of the listless body. I felt the hunger and thirst of my body to get high was the centre of the universe. I was lonely, feeling sad and desperately yearning for a kick. Nothing in the universe but a piece of powder could gave me serenity.
 
Read the Private Investigation Series


When it was dark, I finally got the fifty bucks -- that was the price for my existence. And I got looted. The cops whipped me for loitering around the notorious area, where the stuff was available. I was so close to my dream, yet so far. The chase and hassles for meaning in the things still remains elusive as ever. I got beaten, I got bruised and I got angry Đ that was a part of my life. They took away my money and all I could do was to get a couple of broken fingers and a gash on my body from their lathis.

But that was then, and now the times-they-are-a-changing. Every day is a fucking great day now. I don't wake up with a nightmare anymore and have left long ago the things I always did first thing in the morning Đ seeking and searching a way to get my choice of chemical and subdue my intolerable urges.

I am free now. I don't depend on substances anymore. I did drugs to live my life and lived my life to do drugs. Not anymore. It was an experience of a lifetime that the things I did in a decade of self-destruction. I still remember my ex-supervisor. I hope he has climbed higher in his career. I have no ill-feelings nor any grudge against him. However, I would have had not puked inside the bus. I was high after a fix just before the journey. 

Comments

Trending Posts

Monthly Records

Show more

Subscribe

You can read the latest updates on your email. Don’t miss any post and read it at your convenience by subscribing to this blog. Your subscription is also my energy! It encourages me to do more and better.

Subscribe to this blog